Using or storing paraffin heaters, mobile gas heaters, gas cylinders or containers of petrol or paraffin is not allowed in any of our homes.
Our appointed Gas Safe registered engineers will inspect your gas appliances every year to ensure that they are in safe working order.
This should avoid any problems, but if you smell gas and suspect a gas leak, the following should be done:
- Call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999 (lines open 24 hours a day)
- Open all doors and windows
- Turn off the gas supply at the meter (unless located in a cellar or basement)
- Do not use any naked flames or electrical switches
Around 30 people in the UK die each year due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning caused by defective gas appliances. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and non-irritating toxic gas. It is a silent killer, therefore allowing us access to carry out the annual gas safety inspection is vital. Carbon monoxide detectors can be utilised to alert household members to any carbon monoxide released by faulty gas appliances.
In the early stages of the poisoning, symptoms are similar to other common ailments so it can go undetected until it is too late.
Some typical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- headaches or dizziness
- loss of consciousness
- chest pains
- erratic behaviour
- visual problems
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and experience any of the symptoms above, it is crucial to seek urgent medical attention from your GP, an A&E department or call NHS Direct on 111.