Energy and heating discounts

If you’re struggling to afford your energy bills, you may be able to take advantage benefits and grants offered by the government and energy suppliers.

cat on radiator image

There are lots of national and local benefits and grants available to help you manage your energy costs. You can find out more about these below.

  • Big Community Switch - free energy switch service

    Big Community Switch is a free scheme that could help you save money on your energy bills.

    What is Big Community Switch?

    Collective energy switching uses the bargaining power of a large group of people to get a competitive offer for you. Big Community Switch is coordinated by iChooser.

    How does it work?

    It’s a free service and open to anyone in the UK.

    • They invite pre-vetted energy suppliers to an energy auction where they compete to offer you the lowest energy tariff.
    • Suppliers bid against each other until they have the lowest bid.
    • You’ll then be sent a personal offer. There’s no obligation to accept the offer
    • If you do accept, and choose to switch energy supplier, they will handle the entire switching process for you.

    The scheme runs throughout the year, with auctions a few times a year. The next auction is 9th February 2021.

    How do you get involved?

    To get involved, you’ll need to sign-up on the Big Community Switch website.

    You’ll need to provide your contact details, the name of your energy supplier and details of your current energy usage and tariff.

    Find out more on the Big Community Switch website

  • Warm Home Discount Scheme

    You could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2020 to 2021 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme.

    The scheme for 2020 to 2021 opened on 12 October 2020.

    The money is paid as a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between September and March.

    Find out more about the Warm Home Discount Scheme

  • Winter Fuel Payment

    The Winter Fuel Payment is an annual one-off payment of between £100 and £300 to help you pay for heating during the winter.

    You can usually get a Winter Fuel Payment if you were born on or before 5 October 1954.

    You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you are eligible and you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

    Find how much you can get, and how to claim on GOV.UK.

  • Cold Weather Payments

    Cold Weather Payments are one-off payments to help you pay for extra heating costs when it’s very cold.

    You’ll get a payment each time the temperature drops below a specific temperature for a set period of time.

    You’ll only be eligible if you already get:

    Pension Credit
    Income Support
    income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    Universal Credit

    Find out more about Cold Weather Payments on GOV.UK

  • Grants to help pay off your energy debts

    If you’re in debt to your energy supplier, you may be able to get a grant from a charitable trust to help pay it off.

    British Gas Energy Trust - open to anyone

    The British Gas Energy Trust offer grants to clear domestic gas and electricity debts. These grants are open for anyone to apply for, you don't need to be a British Gas customer.

    Energy company grants for customers

    There are also companies who offer grants specifically for their customers, including:

    npower Energy Fund
    Scottish Power Hardship Fund
    Ovo Debt and energy assistance
    E.on Energy Fund

    When you apply for a grant, you'll be asked to provide detailed information about your financial situation. The Citizens Advice service may be able to help you with your application.

You may also find the following pages helpful:

If you have any questions, please call us on 0300 1234 009 and ask to speak to a member of the housing management team.